- November 4, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Green Field Hospitals
A hospital’s management practices directly influence the clinical outcomes it achieves, including mortality rates. Patient satisfaction also tends to be higher at hospitals with efficient top management. The leadership team must be in a prime position to mandate policy, systems, procedures and strategies that impact the quality delivery as well as safety of health care. Our study on Hospital Consulting, India, Africa and GCC initiated to address this specific topic of the role of leadership team in implementation of health systems
The initiative and guidance of leadership team are vital to the successful implementation of health systems / hospital management solutions in healthcare institutions, along with Healthcare IT team. They attend to the business side of healthcare, working with other employees, ICT leaders and departments to make the transition smooth. In organizations, for efficient adoption of hospital management solutions, the CEO and other senior executives must get involved in the early planning, including establishing a timeline, process and budget.
Our Hospital Consulting, India, Africa & GCC study says, the more involvement the hospital leaders place on quality initiatives, OPD and IPD management, EMR initiatives and other integrated healthcare solutions, the more likely the hospital is to actually implement them.
So, how should the leadership team be engaged in implementing hospital management solutions?,
That leadership team facilitates strategic change. Influence establishes a sense of purpose, focusing on leadership and responsibility. The leadership team must take efforts to –
• Communicate that the change is needed and will be beneficial to the organization.
• Define and communicate the organization’s mission and strategies to staff.
• Establish a set of shared values.
• Change norms and behaviors within an organization to improve commitment and involvement
Motivation involves goal setting while inspiring and encouraging others. The leadership team should motivate the administration, nurses, staff, and physicians to commit to vision of the implementation. The leaders should –
• Give direction, energy, and the persistence to goals.
• Encourage employees to take action to achieve the goals
• Improve communication inside and outside the organization
• Get new and creative ideas for solving problems from the employees.
Leadership team also needs to be actively involved in the implementation process themselves. Such involvement will set an example for others in the organization. They need to –
• Be in a visible leading role and be supportive of the initiative.
• Commit to funding and additional staffing as needed, as well as their own efforts.
• Effectively coordinate the use of resources
• Participate in key transformational activities, including meetings and communication events.
• Be actively involved in monitoring progress.
Healthcare management solutions have an important and obvious role in quality of care and patient safety. While there are many factors to an efficient implementation of a hospital management solutions system, a key to its success is the vision, support and leadership of the senior executive team, beginning with the CEO of the organization.
Sarathy advisory can make sure you have successful hospital management solutions in place so that your organization is positioned to reach its goals. Our vast experience in Hospital Consulting, India, Africa and GCC can enable our client’s leadership team to navigate the challenges associated with planning, implementation, optimization, and adoption of hospital management systems & related health systems.